Podcasts, which were first known as a type of “audio blog,” took off around 2004, when the iPod was becoming popular. Listeners wanted to have a type of program they could download to a personal device and listen to on their own time.
Soon, podcasts expanded their reach, spanning genres, formats and target audiences. Even though technology has come a long way in the past 18 years, listeners still like podcasts. One of the most popular and well-known podcasts is Serial, which blends mysteries with journalism. Read on for our review.Read More »
Serial was created by the creators behind This American Life, the popular radio show (which also has a podcast version). Hosted by Sarah Koenig, each season focuses on one true story. Each episode reveals more facts, leading listeners closer to the truth.
It has won major broadcast awards, including Scripps Howard and the first Peabody Award for a podcast. Produced in collaboration with WBEZ Chicago, it comes from Serial Productions, which has produced, among other things, S-Town in 2017.
The Pros of this Podcast
Well, what are some of the pros of Serial?
- It is free: Listening in comes at zero cost to listeners: they just need to download it from a trusted podcast store.
- Surprises at every turn: Sarah, the presenter, does not even know how each season ends, so plots unfold for both her and listeners with each episode.
- Characters listeners will get to know: Every season has new characters—listeners will root for some and question the motives of others.
- Multiple seasons: As of June 2022, Serial has three seasons, with more in the works, so listeners will not feel like this is a “one and done” podcast.
- News and a mystery, all in one: This podcast is many things: A source of news, a suspenseful mystery, a journalistic endeavor to uncover the truth and pure entertainment. Not many other podcasts can tick off so many boxes.
The Cons of Listening to this Podcast
No podcast is without its cons.
- Long episodes: Episodes can range from about 40 minutes to well over an hour. This is not a quick listen, which can be a downside for some listeners.
- Listening to every episode is needed: In order to keep track of the story, it is crucial for listeners to tune into every episode. Unlike some podcasts, which can be listened to out of order,
- Needing to wait to find out how stories end: Instant gratification cannot be found here.
- Best for mature teens and up: Given the nature of the podcast content, it is best if young kids or those who are easily frightened hold off on listening. There are plenty of more appropriate options for them, too.
Our Review of Serial
Serial attracts tons of fans worldwide who love suspense, mysteries and good journalism. Since each episode reveals a new part of the story, it gives listeners incentive to tune in every week—and try to put the pieces together on their own to make their own theories.
Those who do not want to tune into crime-focused podcasts may want to look elsewhere, but for those who enjoy this genre, give it a download today!
Love listening to podcasts? Did you find this useful, and want to download Serial now? Spread the word. Feel free to bookmark or post to your timeline for reference later!
Explore Games and Apps