A weekend holiday has been a pipe dream for many across the country, especially since the Covid-19 pandemic brought travel restrictions and lockdowns. As the world recovers from the reeling effects of the pandemic, Memorial Day weekend gives the perfect opportunity that many have been waiting for to take a much-needed vacation.
Before traveling, however, globetrotters should consider a few factors such as their vaccination status and the pandemic state in the locations they intend to visit. We offer the destinations that allow you to enjoy the three-day holiday, whether you want to unwind on a sunny beach, a mountainous getaway, or honor our fallen soldiers at war memorials in various cities.
Top Memorial Day GetawaysRead More »
You can spend the weekend scouring for shells along Bowman’s beach, birdwatching at Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, or enjoying the breath-taking sunset on Captiva Islands. While in Sanibel, you should also consider the Sundial Beach Resort and Spa. This establishment offers direct beach access, a sparkling pool, and other fun activities like pickleball and tennis.
· Annapolis, Maryland. It is to honor fallen servicemen and women and women in the waterfront city of Annapolis. You can watch the memorial day parade, which passes through Main Street, or take a walk down the other streets of Historic Annapolis, where you will see many rows of American flags. If you want more space where you can stretch out over the weekend, Quiet Waters Park is the spot for you.
The park covers an area of 340 acres and is an excellent spot to enjoy kayaking, picnicking, biking, or just admiring breath-taking views of the South River as you bask in the pleasant temperatures. You can also enjoy the river by hiring boats on-site. To satisfy your hunger, nearby Boatyard Bar and Grill offers delicious food and ample outdoor seating. Accommodation is available to visitors ranging from vacation rentals in the downtown area to modern establishments like the Hotel Annapolis.
· Charleston, South Carolina. This location is a great spot to visit year-round and features cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and centuries-old oak trees. However, visiting Charleston during the memorial day weekend allows you to see the town at its busiest right before the harsh summer heat. You can embark on a boat tour through Charleston Harbour to learn about the city’s history as you admire the beautiful vegetation on Magnolia Plantation and Gardens.
Beach lovers would be delighted as nearby Folly Beach or Sullivan’s Islands offer open beaches. There are many accommodation options, such as vacation rentals for those who are economical to high-end resorts such as the Hotel Bennet, which is highly rated.
· St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. The islands will give you the feel of an international vacation, albeit with the convenience of domestic travel. St. Thomas is the most popular virgin Island in the US. The primary tourist season usually starts in December through to March, and you can therefore find discounted accommodation rates and fewer crowds while still enjoying the warm temperatures. Many outdoor activities include snorkeling and swimming at the Magens Bay and shopping amenities along duty-free Main Street. You can have picturesque views of nearby islands, including Puerto Rico, on a clear day from Paradise Point.
· Big Bear Lake, California. By late May, the snowfall in Big Bear lake would have stopped, giving travelers access to pleasant temperatures in the low 70s. Bear Lake has many recreation options such as fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and paddleboarding. The water is generally cold year-round, and this is important to keep in mind if you are looking to explore the few swimming beaches on the lake. You can pick from many lodging options such as inns, vacation homes, resorts and cabins, and lodges; this ensures there is something for everyone across all price points. Big Bear Lakefront Cabins offers pet-friendly cabins for those thinking of bringing their pet with them on the adventure and features amenities like heated swimming pools and hot tubs that overlook the lake.
· Cape May, New Jersey. To those familiar with this location, it is no surprise to learn that Memorial Day Weekend unofficially marks the start of the tourism season in this town. This historic town played a crucial role in military defense during the second world war. Travelers will enjoy taking a stroll along the outdoor Washington Street Mall to admire the Victorian architecture adjacent to the shoreline. Cape May is also a great place to visit if you enjoy birdwatching, and there are also many wineries in the area for wine lovers. Cape May does not offer any chain hotels for accommodation, but visitors can stay at the Boutique hotel, Darling Inn, or rent a cottage.
· Washington, D.C., Washington offers the most patriotic place to celebrate the actual cause behind Memorial Day. You can honor fallen soldiers with a visit to Arlington National Cemetery, the final resting place of over 400,000 soldiers who can represent the country in conflicts worldwide. On the National Mall, you can stroll along the granite wall to read the names of the over 58,000 American citizens who lost their lives during the Vietnam War. You can also visit the World War 2 Memorial to pay tribute to those who lost their lives.
· Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Even though temperatures are still making their way into the mid-60s, come Memorial Day, a visit to Jackson Hole will give you outstanding wildlife-viewing opportunities. Some of the animals are moose, eagles, and bison. Memorial Day weekend will also give you the advantage of fewer crowds in the area and discounted hotel rates. The onset of spring also signals the reopening of nearby roadways and parks in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. Travelers can also schedule a dip in the 93-degree thermal pool at the Granite Hot Springs, which reopens in late May for the summer.
· Austin, Texas. The lone star state offers an original Memorial Day experience, with favorable temperatures and a tasty Texas barbecue. Austin has something for everyone, from kayaking in Zilker Metropolitan Park to sight-seeing at Mount Bonnell. Outdoor lovers can also enjoy the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail at Lady Bird Lake, which features quiet trails and picnic opportunities along the water’s edge. You can also learn more about Texas history by visiting the State Capitol grounds in central Austin.
· Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. The shores of Rehoboth Beach have calm waters and temperatures that range in the mid-70s for you and your loved ones. The long boardwalk is a staple where visitors of all ages can enjoy taking a walk while sampling the many restaurants and shops along the way. You should plan a visit to enjoy this beautiful beach.