Both the Sun and the Moon play a very significant role in astrology. The luminaries are the planetary bodies that give off light. Within a natal chart, the zodiac sign of the sun and moon, the house placements, and the aspects of the luminaries can greatly affect a person’s behavior. Understanding the significance of the luminaries in the birth chart enables us to thoroughly understand what motivates us.
The Significance of the Sun & Moon
There are several reasons why luminaries are important in astrology. The sun and the moon represent the parental figures with the moon representing the mother and the sun representing the father. The astrology signs, house placements, and aspects of the sun and the moon can tell us how we experienced our parents. Likewise, the sun is representative of our ego-self and offers insight into our core character while the moon offers a glimpse into our emotional selves-particularly the part that we keep hidden from others. Because the sun and moon are so crucial to our character and development, it is important that we make an effort to fulfill both the sun’s ego desires as well as the moon’s deep-seated subconscious needs.
How We Shine Our Light
It is most beneficial for us to shine our light based on our sun and moon positions as these astrological points are what make us unique. Too often we get caught up in trying to be something other than ourselves. We are naturally molded by our circumstances, environments, upbringing, and societal expectations to adjust are natural expressions so as not to rock the boat or offend. However, doing so greatly diminishes our personal light, and it also prevents us from developing our core personality signatures. In astrology, the sun, moon, and ascendant placements are considered the big three. While all of the planetary placements are important, these specific placements reveal our ego expression via the Sun, what we need to feel safe and comfortable through the moon, and how we present ourselves to the world via the ascendant. These placements are the core of our energetic selves, and it is highly important that we consciously develop them in order to feel like complete, authentic individuals.
Yes, when we honor the fact that each of us has our own light, we are less likely to try to imitate someone else. For example, a Leo Sun can only be a Leo Sun. It would not make much sense for a Leo sun to try to act like a Capricorn sign because the ego expression is completely different. This message is also applicable to moon energy. Take the Sagittarius moon that needs to be able to have a certain amount of freedom and exploration in order to be happy. Meanwhile, Cancer moon is more likely to enjoy being at home thoroughly enjoying the safe nest that they created for themselves and the people closest to them. It would not make sense for the Sagittarius moon to try to emulate the Cancer moon nor would it make sense for the Cancer moon to try to emulate the Sagittarius moon because both of them have different emotional needs.
So, it is vitally important that we all make a conscious effort to embrace our light in our own way. By doing so, we will find our lives much more fulfilling and complete.
How to Embrace Solar & Lunar Energy
Now that we understand the importance of solar and lunar energy in our lives, it’s time to actively integrate this understanding so that we can begin aligning ourselves with our own light. The following are some suggestions for embracing our luminary energies.
- Thoroughly research the Sun and Moon positions in your natal chart by astrological sign and house placement. This information will tell you the characteristics of your luminary energy and how you express that energy via the house placement.
- Don’t forget to consider aspects. Aspects can modify the pure expression of luminary energies. For example, a Taurus Sun with a square to Uranus may not always exhibit the steady, security-focused, grounded energy that Taurus is known for due to the sun’s tense energy exchange with the unpredictable energy of Uranus. Check the aspects for a better understanding of your luminary energy.
- Determine if you have a nocturnal or diurnal natal chart as this will affect which luminary has the most precedent in your life. For example, someone born during the day has a diurnal natal chart where the sun is the brightest star. However, people born during the night may find that they resonate more with their moon sign because the dominant luminary at night is the moon.
- Study the energetic cycles of the Sun and the Moon in order to take advantage of your luminary expression. For example, if you are a person with heavy Moon energy, it is important to monitor the moon cycles every two days and check-in with how you feel. Likewise, the changes in the lunar nodes or North Node will also impact individuals with a heavy lunar full moon energy.
- Give yourself permission to be yourself. As cliche as it may seem, it is okay for you to embrace yourself to the exclusion of other people’s imprints and impressions. Honestly, we are all here to be the best version of ourselves-not someone else. When we choose to place a lot of energy into the imprints and impressions of others, we are purposely shielding ourselves from our own light and diminishing our own worth and value. Embrace your light. Be you!
Explore Games and Apps