A blend of drama, mystery and romance makes the Princess of South Beach podcast sound like something straight out of a telenovela. And, it basically is, in audio form. Most likely to appeal to teens and young adults, each episode is filled with drama and surprises. Available on all major podcast stores, it is easy to listen to this podcast. But is Princess of South Beach worth a download? Give our review and read and decide for yourself!
An Intro to Princess of South Beach
Set in Miami, twin sisters María del Carmen and Gloria are separated at birth. Gloria is raised in luxury and becomes an “It Girl” on the Miami social scene, while María del Carmen grows up in a convent, sheltered from the outside world. When a freak accident leads Gloria dead, María del Carmen assumes Gloria’s identity, but not without some roadblocks. She discovers that a life of luxury, including trending on Twitter, might not be all that great, and learns many lessons in the process.Read More »
- Available in Spanish and English: An unexpected perk of this podcast is that you can listen in Spanish and English, or one or the other. With an English cast lead by Rachel Zegler of West Side Story fame, and a Spanish cast starring Sheryl Rubio of House of Flowers, alongside many other well-known Hollywood and Latinx actors and actresses, both experiences allow listeners to be on the edge of their seats as drama unfolds.
- Manageable episode length:Most episodes are 10 to 20 minutes in length—the perfect amount of time to get a quick chore done or to squeeze in a listening session during your lunch break.
- Unpredictable story:Unlike some podcasts, this story is unpredictable, making you want to tune into each episode.
- A mix of comedy and drama: Princess of South Beach is like a lighthearted drama and your abuela’s favorite telenovela decided to meld into one cohesive story.
- Only one season: This podcast has only one season, so that could be a con if you wanted to follow María del Carmen’s adventures further.
- Dramatic: Telenovelas are dramatic compared to U.S. standards, and rely on different tropes, such as magic realism, to move stories forward. Some listeners may not be used to their use, and it can take an adjustment period to get used to them.
The Review of Princess of South Beach
Millennials who like teen-oriented stories will likely enjoy Princess of South Beach. It has a famous cast, plenty of twists and relies on classic story elements while still keeping things modern. For those who are unfamiliar with telenovelas, it could be a good way to learn more about another culture while listening to a fun story. Those who like more high-stakes stories, or who are not into a “rags to riches” bent may want to look elsewhere. But, if you are learning Spanish or just want to tune into a captivating podcast, look no further than clicking “download” on Princess of South Beach.
Explore Games and Apps