One of the most anticipated staples of this time of year is the building of a gingerbread house! This structure of gingerbread, icing, and a myriad of sweet toppings is as much fun to build as it is to eat! However, after so many Christmases, creating the same structure and decorating pattern over and over again becomes mundane. Spice it up by changing how you build and decorate your gingerbread house!
Make your Gingerbread!
In case you need a new gingerbread recipe here is a go-to that is sure to please. The gingery-sweet goodness makes for great construction material and amazing snacking. It also includes directions to make your own royal icing as well as construct a simple house structure in case you want a practice run before creating your masterpiece!Read More »
Inspirations to the max!
We’ll be looking at two categories of ways you can change up your holiday tradition: decoration ideas and construction ideas. Switching up how you decorate results in a house that many will never see again while creating a different structure entirely will wow your guests like never before!
- Stained Glass Windows:Brighten up the windows with some edible stained glass! Using crushed hard candies to create these colorful window panes makes for some amazing bonding. For the tired student, set them to smashing colorful candies to take out their aggressions over finals. The artistic one will adore choosing how to mix and match colors to create windows that will rival those of the greatest cathedrals! However they’re created, these windows will be as pretty as they are sweet!
- Rock Candy Touches: For those who love crystals and gems, this is an option for you! Make homemade rock candy to become trees or pillars of your gingery concoction. These spires of beauty can be created in a variety of colors and flavors. Have green peppermint spruces lining the front yard or hot red cinnamon tinsel hugging the corners of the abode. Bright pink bubblegum flavor is always a winner! These sweet additions will make your house the jewel of the holiday!
- Roof Shingles: Gumdrops and drawing out the shingles with icing or melted chocolate are cute details, but what about having “real” shingles? Necco wafers or small cookies make amazing roofing materials for your abode of sweets. Take it a step further by making these shingles out of more gingerbread to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Thinking of Summer: Instead of a house, why not a cozy vacation spot? Trade out frosted yards for the beach! Graham cracker sand and blue frosting ocean make a perfect setting for your vacation hideaway as we all await the return of warmer weather. Add gummy fish and craft surfboards to really bring it all together.
- Hit the Road: For those who love to travel, here’s an option for you! Craft an RV for a sweet change of pace. The cool part of this design is that you can create a setting that matches where you would like to be. Create a snowy wood or sandy beach. This would make for a great way to announce a surprise trip to loved ones.
Make the Season Bright!
No matter how you decide to create your holidays, you can add a little something special to make it memorable. From cute ways to decorate to cool design choices, make your gingerbread house this year be one that no one will soon forget. Who knows, you and your crew may find a new favorite that will become a staple for years to come.
Explore Games and Apps