Witchcraft is gaining fast momentum globally. Millennials are reverting to their authentic roots and questioning most religious beliefs. Witchcraft is the observance and practice of magic or supernatural powers. It is predominantly a practice that is associated with women. However, a male version of it is known as a sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. It includes the use of spells, tarot cards, and charms to control the lives of people or particular outcomes. In 2015, American author, Alex Mar wrote Witches of America that estimates that there are over one million witches in the country.
A witch or a sorcerer practices witchcraft. Climate change is a thorny issue in today. Millennials are resorting to natural remedies to counter it. The craft has an affinity for nature, and this makes it more attractive to them. For some, it is the fashion sense that emanates from witchcraft that entices them.Read More »
FACTORS WHY WITCHES ARE POPULAR AMONG MILLENNIALS:
1. Fashion: Renowned fashion designers like; Clio Peppiatt, Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, and Edward Meadham, among others. Clio Peppiatt is a female wear designer who has featured witches heavily in her collection. Clio confessed that she was influenced heavily by The Love Witch movie. It is a 2016 film by Anna Biller. The collection that is heavily influenced by cultism features 30 pieces. Her allure to the costumes, set, and captivating colors that were in the movie led to the influence. The overall style of the movie is borrowed heavily from the sixties and seventies horror films. The designer has another collection which features tarot cards that she illustrated. The graphics drew inspiration from the first issue of the Rider Waite tarot cards deck.
Edward Meadham was the owner of defunct Meadham Kirchhoff cult fashion label. Currently, he owns Blue Roses that incorporates the gothic romance style in its designs. Meadham is a confessed witch lover, and he repeatedly tries to dispel false perceptions of women that are related to issues such as witches. He even contemplated naming his new label Witches. His current collection features witches on hoodies and t-shirts. It also displays gothic style frills, pears, and other accessories on items like shoes and other attires.
Renowned designer Alexander McQueen confidently traces his family tree to Salem when the witch trials were going on. As a result, his designs have heavily featured the occult and paganism. Bridal designer Vivienne Westwood also features these themes significantly in her collection. She dedicated her 1983 collection to witches.
2. Social Media: Popular social media pages on Instagram are encouraging young people to take control of their destinies. By advising them about the manifestation of their dreams. Hashtags such as #witchesofinstagram manage to draw several posts from practicing millennial witches like @witcheryway, @light_witch, @TheHoodWitch among others. The quick natural remedies they recommend to common issues make them striking to millennials. Several occult websites and online stores that sell crystal balls, tarot cards, and spell kits have also popped up.
3. Music industry: Recently, the Witch House music genre emerged. This genre is associated with occult themes. The visual aesthetics are dark, and they include horror inspired artwork and terror. However, rock music draws comparisons with the occult and witchcraft. Some rock, punk, and metal musicians have practiced it.
Elvis Presley is one of the best musicians that the world has ever seen. Although he is not associated with witchcraft directly, his spouse Priscilla Presley once revealed that he once became mesmerized with the occult. It was during a difficult time when The Beatles success was soaring, and his record sales were decreasing.
David Bowie once contacted a witch to assist him in eliminating a curse that he thought he had. Even though the famous musician was not a witch, he observed some of their beliefs. Some critics have attributed this to his heavy cocaine use.
Beyonce’s former drummer, Kelly Thompson, accused the famous singer of witchcraft. She even filed a restraining order against her claiming that she had already cast several spells on her. Some musicians have also incorporated occult symbols in their music videos or lyrics.
4. Mass Media: TV series, magazines, books, programs, and movies have all had a heavy presence of witchcraft. The much-acclaimed Harry Porter series brought the occult theme to practically all homes globally.
Popular actress Gwyneth Paltrow owns a spiritual accessories website. Here she sells various metaphysical related items such as medicine bags.
5. Tarot Cards: This is a deck of 78 illustrations on cards. They portray an allegory. It illustrates your life cycle, and it reflects your existence on earth. The association of tarot cards with fortune-telling is common. During the reading, each card manifests your life and how your choices have influenced its course.
6. Horoscope: A growing number of young Americans believe that astrology and horoscopes are branches of science. Consequently, they are associated with the stars and planets of the universe. Horoscope is a prediction of your future. The practice uses your birthday, the position of the stars, moon, sun, and planets. The inclusion of horoscopes has been popular publications since time immemorial. Millennials have taken to horoscopes, and it has continued being a trend of being able to foretell what will happen during a short period. Religious people are known to shun horoscopes and believe in the power of God instead