The Dangers of Radon Exposure


Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas. It is a by-product of the breakdown of uranium naturally present in rocks and soil. Radon gas is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Small amounts of radon are often present in outdoor air, but the levels are very low and typically not harmful. The vast majority of radon exposure occurs indoors. Radon gas leaches from the soil into buildings through small gaps and cracks in the structure’s foundation. Radon levels tend to be highest in areas like basements and cellars, particularly if the area is poorly ventilated. Radon may also be present in drinking water, especially for those whose water supply comes from a groundwater source such as a well.

Young children may be particularly vulnerable to radon exposure, due in part to the fact that their immune systems are not yet fully developed. Children are also more likely to spend the majority of their time at home or in school, where the risk of exposure may be more pronounced.

Read More »

Related Articles

Back to top button


Get a daily email of trending news and updates. Be the first to see top stories and events.