Over the past month, millions of Americans have gotten their third round of stimulus payments. People are rushing to get their tax returns done to see if they can qualify for more money as the federal deadline has been extended from April 17 to May 17.
All single people get $1,400, or $2,800 for married couples filing jointly, with additional amounts of $1,400 for every dependent child. Single individuals who make up to $75,000 get the full payment, as do married couples who make $150,000 or less. Payment amounts decrease the further one is from the threshold. They do not apply to individuals who make more than $80,000 or married couples making $160,000 or more.Read More »
If you could not qualify for the 2020 checks due to 2019 income, but you can qualify now based on what happened last year, it is recommended that you file your taxes ASAP. The situation is fluid, but the sooner the IRS sees that you are eligible, the likelihood that you will get the check sooner rather than later increases.
How do I check the status of my check?
To see when you are expected to get the stimulus check, use the “Get My Payment” tool on the IRS website. Find out when the money should either hit your bank account or be mailed. The Economic Impact Payments (stimulus checks) are based on the amount reported in either your 2019 or 2020 taxes, so it is in your best interest to file as quickly as you can.
Be mindful that there is no need to check the web tool multiple times every hour, although that can be tempting. It updates once per day, typically during the night. Please do not call the IRS, as the support team can only view general information on IRS.gov.
Did your stimulus check get lost, stolen or destroyed?
You can ask the IRS to check its status. Assuming you are eligible to receive this payment, you can request that the IRS go through a process called a “payment trace.”
While the IRS will not issue your payment in the same form, you can claim a “recovery rebate” on your tax returns.
How to request that a payment trace be performed
- See the moneys’ status in the “Get My Payment” portal. The IRS will then send you a letter notifying you that payment was sent.
- You can only request that a payment trace happens if you get an IRS letter saying payment has been issued or the online tool says as such.
- Do not request one to find out if you are eligible or to check the status of your payment. Watch the mail, your bank accounts and the “Get My Payment” portal.
- After checking with your bank and waiting the necessary amount of time, then you can request a payment trace. Note this must be done within the following guidelines: four weeks from when the check was mailed to a standard address, six week since the check was mailed to a forwarding address if it is registered at a local post office, or nine weeks since it was mailed to a foreign (outside the U.S. address).
- To officially put in the request, call 800-919-9835 or mail a Form 3911 to the IRS.
- Only submit the request through one method, and make sure it is after the time frames listed above.
- If submitting the form, make sure you fill out the right information and sign the form.
- Mail or file the form to the correct address based on your state (the IRS website has the details).
What happens next?
About six weeks after contacting the IRS, expect a response. They will act within one or two days and process a refund if money was not cashed. Notice will be made as well. If the original check happens to show up in the mail later, then you will need to return it. If it was cashed, you will get a rebate package. Follow the instructions, mail it back, and make sure to fill out the “recovery rebate” section on your 2020 or 2021 tax return to get the money. For additional questions, reference the IRS site.
Make sure the steps you take are the ones listed above. Good luck getting your money!
Explore Games and Apps